Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Welcome to Raw Racing Commentary: Nascar Unseen

Now that I'm no longer representing Nascar Scene magazine, I feel I can go ahead and air out my opinions about Nascar racing without hurting the magazine. My first post, albeit biased, concerns the end of the freelancing program at Nascar Scene magazine. Although the staff photographers are quite competent and good photographers in their own right, I think the magazine suffers from no longer having freelancers contribute to the publication. What a lot of people don't realize is that the Scene freelancers cover a lot of track that often isn't covered by any other still photographers, and as such, have a lot of unique photographs. For example, fellow ex-freelancer Jim Smith is the only still photographer to cover the Davy Allison horrible wreck at Pocono in 1992. I think Scene has lost a big chunk of its soul.

No comments: